Junior lightweight world titleholder Roman “Rocky” Martinez has tendinitis in his left hand, which caused him to withdraw Friday from his March 12 defense against Miguel Berchelt.
According to PR Best Boxing, Martinez (29-2-3, 17 KOs) was examined by Dr. Jose M. Santiago Figueroa, who diagnosed him with tendinitis in his left hand and recommended he rest it for four weeks.
“Definitely Rocky will not fight on March 12,” PR Best Boxing vice president Peter Rivera said. “Rocky had a pain in the hand, and we went last week to see Dr. Santiago Figueroa, who specializes in hand injuries and is one of the best in Puerto Rico, and he prescribed some medication to Rocky. But the pain continued, and we went to see him again [Thursday]. After the evaluation, Dr. Santiago Figueroa gave him the diagnosis and advised him not to punch with that hand and rest for four weeks.
“As soon as the doctor notified us [Thursday], we talked with the people from Zanfer Promotions [Berchelt’s promoter] to let them know of the situation and to work the possibility of a new date for the fight.”
Martinez said there were a number of Puerto Rican fans who had made plans to travel to Mexico for the fight, which was to have been his second title defense of his third 130-pound title reign.
“I feel bad for all Puerto Rican fans, including some people who already had tickets to go to Mexico with us, but I had to be 100 percent and I could not disappoint my country fighting there injured,” Martinez said. “Now I have to follow the instructions of the doctor and wait patiently until they give me the green light to train at a high level again. Everyone knows I’ll be ready to return to the ring and defend my title when I recover.”….